Freemasons Foundation Victoria was established in November 2014 following the amalgamation of Freemasons Victoria Benevolent Fund and The Freemasons Public Charitable Foundation and is the trustee for 2 registered charities.
Freemasons Benevolent Fund and
The Freemasons Public Charitable Foundation.
The Freemasons Benevolent Fund can trace its history back to 1889 when United Grand Lodge of Victoria was formed and a fund was established with a 500 pound contribution from the very first Grand Master, Most Worshipful Brother Sir John William Clarke, along with a further contribution of 16 pounds from those who attended. The purpose of this fund was to support Brethren who had fallen on hard times. In 1912 the fund introduced its first scholarship and started to contribute grants, gifts and donations to non-masonic charities. All of which continue to this day.
The Freemasons Public Charitable Foundation was established in 1989 by a group of senior Freemasons to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the formation of United Grand Lodge of Victoria and is registered as a Deductible Gift Recipient charity (DGR).
The new board met for the first time in December 2014 and approved about $85,000 in grants. This was the first step in a program of giving which, in the next full year period, made grants of $1.5m.
The Foundation is in a privileged position to be the custodian a significant amount of funds with over $50m in funds under management.
The corpus of fund has enabled the Foundation to distribute over $9.0m into the Victorian community since 2014 via:
Lodge Support Grants